Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Please welcome my renter for this week

Ok, I decided to join the whole 'rent my blog' thing and have decided to have Pia as my winner. So go see her. Its worth it.

On other news, I got rented too by IdentityMIA. Thank you for that.

On a uni update, I have 4 days to hand in work and to be quite honested, i'm not sure whether i'll get it all done. Now, i'm not giving up or anything but it will be a miricle (and i'm all for those by the way!) if it does happen.

Went to work today although yesterday I phoned in sick. Never had an interview or anything like i'm supposed too but i'm sure they'll do it before I go home.

MESSAGE TO SELF: Ring work at home to say that i'm coming back next week!

I was on the kiosk today and asked many people for ID as they have to be 16+. Some of them I wasn't sure of so asked. One had ID and showed it, one was arrogant and swore at me before walking off and one just said' I havn't got any'. I said 'Well, I cant serve you then i'm afraid, sorry'. He said 'Ok, fair enough' and walked off. That shoked me more!

Then, right at about 9:50pm (we close at 10pm), some man tried buying alcohol. Now, our company has just brought in an under 21 rule. The legal age to buy alcohol is 18 but if we think (or know ) that they are under 21 we have to ask them for ID. If they have it, they can buy the drink. If not, then they cant!

Anyway, this dude comes up to me. Now, he is from a foreign country (where makes no difference). I know a couple of people from random places like iraq, albania, that sort of thing who look older than they are and this dude did look under 21 so I ask him for ID. He doesn't speak English very well and says he doesn't understand (thats why I mentoned he was foriegn!). I try to tell him that he needs a picture ID or I cannot sell him the drink (a bottle of whisky, I think) and he doesn't understand. 5 minutes later, he does get the message and he says ok and walks off.

Now, my managers were watching me do this. Not on purpose I do not think but they were near enough to hear me explain to him our policy. One of them (a woman), freaks me out by appearing from no-where (after he has left) and says that I did a great job in telling him no as when he left me, he went to get his friend to buy it for him. They stopped them somehow, I dont know. She goes on to say that the male manager (not on my department) said he was very pleased to see me doing this.

She walks off leaving me still quite freaked out because i'm sure she did just pop out from no-where! The male manager comes over 2 minutes later and congratulates me.

Ok, I know its not a big thing but it is really. I do quite like my job (strangely enough, somepeople actually don't understand why, considering its a supermarket!) and this under 21 thing is a lot more diffcult than everyone thinks. We get shouted at and sometimes threatened. Tills get snatched from under us and people sometimes try to rob us and now we have to ask people who could really just grab us and hurt us, for ID!

Apparently, its to stop all the binge drinking stop. The uk is one of the highest places in the world where underage drinking is all the rage, just like underage smoking. This is just another way of trying to stop it. I hope it will work, i'm not too sure whether it will or not though.

*sigh*

Anyway, go visit those blogs. Oh, while i'm here, give my mates blog a look over. Cazza is very stressed at the mo because of all the work we have to do so she could do with some chearing up :)

Ta.

Ok, thats enough now.

Bye.

Tags: , , , ,
# posted by Paula | 1:38 am |